Every day, if I can get my butt out of bed and on the way to work on time, I see this couple from my building walking to the subway. It's been going on for years now. At first, I went to work really late in the morning (during my horror years) so I would see this one old Asian man - probably about 60 years old - walking slowly home by himself from the subway. I would wonder where this guy was coming from so early in the morning, and figured he was just out for his morning exercise.
This year, after leaving the Firm, I finally had time to notice that he was in fact walking his wife down to the subway every morning and then walking back home afterwards by himself. Where his wife goes, and why, is beyond me - and irrelevant. I realized as I shuffled tiredly along behind them that this is what love is - a couple well into their retirement years, the wife physically unable to make the 15 minute walk to the subway unassisted, the husband uncomplainingly escorting her as they walk, arm-in-arm, or hand-in-hand, chatting quietly to each other the entire way. Or maybe, the husband has nothing else to do in the mornings, and would rather make a useless trip to the subway station, if it meant having a quiet moment alone with his wife.
I used to get annoyed at how slowly they walked in front of me, and my sole objective was to pass them on the sidewalk so they wouldn't be in my way. Now - seeing both or either of them is an inspiration to me. I hope all my friends and family can find such a partner to share the rest of their life with.
Friday, August 27, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment